Owens Funeral Home was founded in 1925 by William H. and Geneva Owens. Our founders provided a strong sense of service to both country and community that is carried on today with our involvement in local civic and religious organizations. "Old Bill" was active in many local organizations and was well known throughout Champaign County for his practical jokes. Geneva, having a quiet sensibility and a knack for business, ran the funeral home from behind the scenes and even possessed a funeral director apprentice license.
The original location was on Hill Street in downtown Champaign but in 1940, Bill and Geneva saw an opportunity to expand their business by purchasing the Trevett Mansion. Always being visionaries, they conducted an extensive remodel of the building which has served the needs of the Champaign community for generations. Today, funerals are conducted in the same building and in the same manner as they were when Bill and Geneva ran the business, with the utmost respect and dignity for all.